Thimphu Tshechu is by all means one of the biggest festivals in the capital of Bhutan for 3 days beginning on 7thOctober till 9th October 2019. This festival is a ceremony of colors with a happy amalgamation of the changing nature and the many moods of the Bhutanese culture.
The highlight of Thimphu Tshechu is the showcase of ethnic folk dance in the famous Tashichho Dzong in Thimphu.
The court yard of this Dzong is the platform for the performances that is marked by traditionally designed colorful masks. Essentially a religious event, Thimphu Tshechu holds spiritual significance for the people of Bhutan who crowd the streets of Thimphu during that time of the year.
The festival takes place in Tendrel Thang (festival ground which is located in front of the Tashichhoedzong). Various religious activities starting from mask dances (chham) and folk dances are performed. It is believed that one acquires good merits and cleanse oneself of the bad luck by witnessing the mask dance.
The monks perform eight forms of dances representing eight manifestations of Guru Rinpoche (also known as Padmasambhava) which was being performed by him in order to restore the health of the King Sindhu Raja.The monks wear majestic silk robes and beautifully crafted masks. People from all over the kingdom make it to this grand celebration along with their loved ones. Moreover, most of our visitors plan their holidays during the month of October as it coincides with Thimphu Tshechu and the weather is favorable. October month is one of the busiest tourist season according to the research done by the Tourism Council of Bhutan)
Thimphu Festival Tour 2019 – Brief Itinerary
DAY 01- ARRIVE PARO – THIMPHU You will be received at the Paro airport, and then have a smooth drive towards Thimphu which would approximately take 1 hour from Paro. After lunch you will visit the following places and other sightseeing in and around Thimphu.
- Visit Tashi Chhoe Dzong.
- Bhutanese Craft Bazaar
- Witness Archery game
- Centenary market in the evening
DAY 02- THIMPHU- ATTEND THIMPHU TSHECHU
- We will accompany you to Tashichhodzong in order to attend the Thimphu festival right after breakfast. Tshechu means the 10th day of each month of the lunar calendar (Buddhist calendar). The festival is annually held in every dzongkhags (districts) on the tenth day of different months. It is performed as a tribute to Guru Rinpoche for bringing Buddhism to Bhutan.
DAY 03- THIMPHU After breakfast, You will visit the following places in Thimphu
- Visit Buddha Dordenma Statue
- Bhutan Post Office
- Royal Textile Academy
- National Textile Museum
- Changankha Temple
- Will attend festival in the afternoon
DAY 04- THIMPHU – PUNAKHA-We will assure a smooth and exciting drive for about 2 hours towards the amazingly beautiful Punakha valley. You would make a visit to some of the loveliest places as mentioned below.
- Dochula Pass
- Punakha DzongChimi Lhakhang
- Wangdue Dzong
DAY 05- PUNAKHA – THIMPHU – PARO
- We will hike through the rice fields towards the Khamsum Yueley Namgyal Chorten from Yabesa village after breakfast. The Chorten(temple) was built by her majesty the queen Ashi Tshering Yangdon Wangchuk. It stands on a mountain top. The Chorten is filled with the paintings belonging to Nyingmapa traditions.
- After the visit to Khamsum Yueley Namgyal Chorten, we will drive back to Thimphu wherein we will accompany you to The National Library,farmhouse at the Folk Heritage Museum,handicraft and souvenir stores to buy gifts for your loved ones back at home.
DAY 06- PARO- HIKE TO TAKSANG MONASTRY
After the breakfast, there will be a hike to Taktshang Monastery. Paro Taktshang is one of the most prominent tourist destinations of the country and your trip would be tedious without visiting this most important Buddhist temple.
In the evening, we will accompany you to a farm house in Paro for a hot stone bath.
DAY 07- DEPART PARO
After the breakfast, we will drop you to the Paro International Airport from where you will fly back home
- Private guided tour
- Visa for Bhutan
- Government approved 3 star hotels
- All meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
- Private licensed tour guide
- Private vehicle (SUV/BUS)
- Private experienced driver
- Mineral bottled water
- Government Sustainable development fees ($65 per person per night)
- All Government taxes and surcharges
- Entry fees & route permits in all places of interest
- Flight into Bhutan (Can be arranged with us)
- Hotel stay outside Bhutan
- Expenditure of personal nature
- Tips for the guide and driver
- Alcoholic drinks/Beverages
- Travel insurance
- Bank wire transfer charges of $40 (one time only)
YOUR BHUTAN PRE-TRAVEL ADVISOR
In place of a dedicated concierge for this, “Once in a lifetime experience”, we have a pre-travel advisor available. The advisor can work with you to determine your best options for excursions, transportation to and from the experience destination, and other information to make your planning easier.
Your travel advisor for Bhutan:
Managing Director: Mrs. Tirtha Gurung
Mobile: +975 17740117/ 17784836(Mobile)